The Shen lab in the Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University seeks a full-time postdoctoral research associate with a strong background in genetics and cell biology to study cancer, stem cells, microbiota and the nervous system in the gut, lung or liver. The Shen lab integrates engineering, computational and biological techniques. We study the properties of stem/progenitor cells in diverse epithelial tissues (with a primary focus on intestine and lung) and their relationships with neighboring tissues in pathophysiological conditions. We utilize in vivo mouse genetics, in vitro 3D organoids, genome-wide Cas9/CRISPR based functional genetic/epigenetic screening, and next generation sequencing technologies to study the behavior of tissues at single cell level. We offer an inspiring intellectual, collaborative and multidisciplinary research environment to support your career goals and provide access to state-of-the-art facilities. Candidates with background knowledge and hands-on experience in molecular cloning, 3D-organoids, CRISPR/Cas9 and bioinformatics skills are particularly welcome. For information about the lab and the PI, please visit: http://shenlab.pratt.duke.edu/.
Principal responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Design and perform experiments. Analyze, interpret and discuss experimental data with PI.
- Apply for funding (postdoctoral fellowship opportunities and contribute to larger lab grants).
- Write and submit manuscripts.
- Help other lab members particularly graduate and undergraduate students.
- A PhD or MD/PhD (or equivalent) in biological sciences (molecular biology, cell biology or biomedical engineering or a related field).
- Strong research background in molecular biology, mouse models of cancer/disease, and next generation sequencing. Prior experience in chromatin biology and bioinformatics, CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing, 3D-organoid cultures, and stem cells is advantageous.
- Evidence of successful completion of a research project (publications).
- Ability to work independently; interpret, present and discuss experimental data.
- Multitask and excellent communications skills
Application: During the application process, please include your CV, contact information for 2-3 references, and a cover letter addressing your research interests. An optional Research Statement (one page or longer) is encouraged.
Submit application materials to:
Dr. Shengli Ding
Research Assistant Professor, Shen Lab
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Duke University, Durham, NC