Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
The Shen lab uses systems biology to study spatiotemporal controls of multicellular systems, and how their subversion lead to diseases. Ongoing projects include colon cancer, normal and cancer stem cells, non-coding RNA, enteric nervious system, and tuberculosis.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: 2167 Ciemas, 101 Science Drive, Box 3382, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 681-9184
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Page:
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2008
- M.Sc. Stanford University, 2001
- B.Sc. Stanford University, 2001
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- Chen, HJ; Sun, J; Huang, Z; Hou, H; Arcilla, M; Rakhilin, N; Joe, DJ; Choi, J; Gadamsetty, P; Milsom, J; Nandakumar, G; Longman, R; Zhou, XK; Edwards, R; Chen, J; Chen, KY; Bu, P; Wang, L; Xu, Y; Munroe, R; Abratte, C; Miller, AD; Gümüş, ZH; Shuler, M; Nishimura, N; Edelmann, W; Shen, X; Lipkin, SM, Comprehensive models of human primary and metastatic colorectal tumors in immunodeficient and immunocompetent mice by chemokine targeting., Nature Biotechnology, vol 33 no. 6 (2015), pp. 656-660 [10.1038/nbt.3239] [abs].
- Bu, P; Wang, L; Chen, K-Y; Rakhilin, N; Sun, J; Closa, A; Tung, K-L; King, S; Kristine Varanko, A; Xu, Y; Huan Chen, J; Zessin, AS; Shealy, J; Cummings, B; Hsu, D; Lipkin, SM; Moreno, V; Gümüş, ZH; Shen, X, miR-1269 promotes metastasis and forms a positive feedback loop with TGF-β., Nature Communications, vol 6 (2015) [10.1038/ncomms7879] [abs].
- Bu, P; Chen, K-Y; Chen, JH; Wang, L; Walters, J; Shin, YJ; Goerger, JP; Sun, J; Witherspoon, M; Rakhilin, N; Li, J; Yang, H; Milsom, J; Lee, S; Zipfel, W; Jin, MM; Gümüş, ZH; Lipkin, SM; Shen, X, A microRNA miR-34a-regulated bimodal switch targets Notch in colon cancer stem cells., Cell Stem Cell, vol 12 no. 5 (2013), pp. 602-615 [10.1016/j.stem.2013.03.002] [abs].
- Shen, X; Collier, J; Dill, D; Shapiro, L; Horowitz, M; McAdams, HH, Architecture and inherent robustness of a bacterial cell-cycle control system., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 105 no. 32 (2008), pp. 11340-11345 [10.1073/pnas.0805258105] [abs].